We hit the Ben Moore Paint Shop a couple weeks ago. I don't want to get carried away with repainting the new house, for several reasons:
- The best decorating ideas come after you've lived somewhere a while, eh?
- I really don't want to squelch my family and friends helpful and generous intentions by forcing them into manual labor, while i sit around like a CEO of a hedge fund operation, sipping tea and recovering from surgery in the new kitchen.
- We need all the extra money we can squirrel away for a tractor for Moose by summertime.
- We also have a boat load of painting to do at the old house so we won't be featured on an HGTV show about homes that no one would buy just because they are afraid of buying a house with a bright blue rec room. :)
- Moose and i really don't agree on colours very often--he's a tan kinda guy, while i am more of a grey gal. Sometimes, us trying to pick out paint colours can be like mixing oil and water. And i love him all the more for it!
I hope it's intense enough not to look dirty and grey on all our dim-lit days here in the rainy PNW--it's what i dispise most of all the ceilings we painted white. On dark rainy days, it looks like we've made a habit of lighting torches in all of the rooms, the smoke discolouring the corners. I also hope that we can turn up the oomph in the rooms with colours in other things. The last thing i want to get embroiled in is spending hours at the mall trying to match new bed sheets to a colour painted in one of our bedrooms. I think, nee, *know* i would rather chew on a wad of tin foil.
While we are still in negotiations, this is what i hope will be Cookie's room. Out that door is a balcony that overlooks the farm and has a small view of the top of Mt. Rainier. So, my theory is--since Cookie will be a teenager someday--what teenager would want to go to someone else's house when they have a rockin' bedroom like this?
Although Moose's point is a good one too...this has the potential of becoming the teenage equivalent to the Crocodile Lounge--and located right above the bedroom that Moose and i hope to inhabit after Cookie is old enough not to need us when she sleepwalks.
When we first looked at the place, she loved the paint scheme in here because it is very similar to her lighthouse themed room now. However, then we took her with us to the paint store. Rotten idea!
She now has visions of purples and bright pinks for her room, we've come to an agreement that we will paint everything Milkyway first, then revisit colour at a different time. And maybe by adorning a garage sale dresser with all these funky colour combos.
This is the second bedroom. The sunsets will be streaming in that window there. The window also has a brick ledge (from the chimney on that exterior wall.) I can't wait to put a pumpkin there in October!
One thing we aren't too certain on is the colour in here. While it looks nice, it's not my style. I am thinking if this becomes our bedroom, i will scour my own photography and see what kind of inspiration i can glean from there. These are candidates.
And so are these.
Thinking of something that i could photograph or have photographed that would look awesome in bright red frames.
Anyway, it's a start, and i can wait to get started on it...
next week's the week!