Sunday, July 26, 2009

Red Handed = More Jammin'

Today, Hubbie took Ri to an M's game and i got to spend a good portion of the day with my parents before they leave on their 2nd honeymoon to Brasil in a couple days!! Woot!

So we decided to try out the new International Farmer's Market (i don't know why it's called that, especially in this day and age of promoting "eat local") in a town just south of us. And, it wasn't a bad little market for the 1st season it's been in business. I was very surprised they had a meat vendor and lots of yummy fruits and veggies to choose from, 2 local honey farmers...

We splurged on a 1/2 flat of boysenberries from my favourite farm in Sumner and a yellow watermelon. Their market is right in the heart of the Sounder commuter rail station, so it was like 7th Heaven for both my parents--Mom could get her fill of "window shopping" while Dad could train geek it up, taking pictures of the commuter rail and Amtrak and frieghts rollin' by.

After we meandered home, i decided i should get the boysenberries made into jam to be sure they wouldn't be wasted. Using the basic recipe from before and with a full blown brainstorm, i combined:

2 cups mashed boysenberries
1 cup pitted, mashed cherries
3 TBSP lemon juice
2.5 cups sugar

It tastes delightful so far!
I'll have to try to make some more and maybe i can call it my special "boys 'n' cherries" jam. :o)
I wonder what allspice would taste like in it??? Hmmmm???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my silly lil musings. Hope you have a wonderful day!
~Whit